Thursday, July 31, 2014

I don't like Mondays..

I don't often get sick but when I do I'm pretty wimpy.  When I get a headache, I usually curl up in my bed and go to sleep rather than take some medicine and soldier on.  When I get a cold, I'll mope around the house.  And I think it must be the same for mental health.  I'm usually a happy guy but am pretty sensitive to when I feel off.

I've been training really hard lately - seven hours running over the weekend.  After the first weekend of this crazy training schedule, I noticed that on Monday, my rest day, I was feeling super tired, super tired and feeling really off.  Exhausted physically but also mentally down...depressed even.  By Tuesday, though, I was back to training and feeling fine again.  But it happened again the next Monday too.

My theory is that the running produces an endorphin high and that Monday I suffer the crash...I had a hangover from running...a RANgover!

I have one more tough weekend ahead of me before a less intense weekend .  I wonder if I'll be RUNgover on Monday.  I also wonder if this is an early warning sign of overtraining.  I'll pay attention to it and may need to adjust my training schedule.

Anyone else had this feeling of being RUNgover?  Is this common?


No comments:

Post a Comment