Monday, July 28, 2014

Frozen Treat Friday FUNdraising



When I joined the GoodGuysTri team to run 100km from Ottawa to Montebello, I also committed to raising at least $2000 to End Kids Cancer and I intend to blow that goal out of the water.  As soon as I joined I put out messages on Facebook and Twitter, and the donations slowly but surely started flowing in.  I knew, however, that I was going to have to do something more to meet my fundraising goals.  
My teammates hit the ground runnin’ by organizing amazing events – karaoke, mini putt, trail run, boot camp, golf, trivia night – all awesome!  What would I do?  I got my idea on a warm summer night.
Every Friday at lunch time, since June 27th, I have set up a table outside the back doors of my work with a cooler filled with yummy frozen treat – popsicles, fudgsicle, drumsticks, and ice cream sandwiches – and I “sell” them by donation.  I learned through previous fundraising for Movember that people are super generous and it is much better to do it by donation than to specify prices.
I am so impressed with my work colleagues’ generosity.  They have donated almost $1100 to help End Kids Cancer.  It has also provided me the opportunity to talk about my running goals.  I now get stopped in the halls to get asked about my training and to let me know that they support me on this journey.   It feels amazing to know that I have their support in achieving this seemingly impossible goal of running more than twice a marathon.
It has also provided the opportunity for people to share their stories about how pediatric cancer has affected their lives.  These stories will be in my mind when I run and I’m sure it will give me strength to carry on.  
Looking forward to the final Frozen Treat Friday FUNdraiser!  If you’re in the area you should stop by!

  

2 comments:

  1. You are super cooolll!! Get it, frozen treats.......I have been reading all your posts, they're great! Glad to see that you're already at 98% of your first fundraising goal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kathryn! Nice to get some feedback on the posts!

    ReplyDelete